Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Formative Assessment

 I consider myself to be in the "developing" phase of this rubric.




Formative assessments help me gage students' level of comprehension in the text we are reading in class. While we read portions of our class novels together, I do assign reading at home and independent and small group reading in class.

This reading is followed by either a subjective writing prompt or a lower-order thinking, multiple choice quiz. Sometimes both.

For subjective writing prompts, I often use google classroom and at times, old-fashioned pencils and comp-books.

For quizzes, I use either nearpod or socrative, which Brian has clued me into. The "team" quizzes are engaging and get the students talking to each other.

To move to the next level on the rubric, I believe I need to use formative assessment to inform the direction of my instruction, and not simply whether or not I need to reteach or reread.

Here is an example of a quiz that includes basic "prove you read and understood" questions and subjective higher order thinking questions created through socrative.


The kids took the quiz in teams of 2-3 and each team was represented by a rocket that raced across my projector screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment